External Forces


External Forces (The Laws of Motion #1)
Author: Deborah Rix
Publication Date: September 13, 2013
Source: NetGalley
Summary: It’s 100 years since the Genetic Integrity Act was passed and America closed its borders to prevent genetic contamination. Now only the enemy, dysgenic Deviants, remain beyond the heavily guarded border. The Department of Evolution carefully guides the creation of each generation and deviations from the divine plan are not permitted.
When 16-year-old Jess begins to show signs of deviance she enlists in the Special Forces, with her best friend Jay, in a desperate bid to evade detection by the Devotees. Jess is good with data, not so good with a knife. So when the handsome and secretive Sergeant Matt Anderson selects her for his Black Ops squad, Jess is determined to figure out why.
As her deviance continues to change her, Jess is forced to decide who to trust with her deadly secret. Jess needs to know what’s really out there, in the Deviant wasteland over the border, if she has any hope of making it to her 17th birthday. Because if the enemy doesn’t kill her first, the Department of Evolution probably will. (Source of Summary and Book Cover: Goodreads)

Rating: 3 Stars

Review: Hmm… I’m confused about how I feel about this one.

First of all, it’s a little too reminiscent of Divergent (it eventually takes a turn and becomes it’s own story but still it felt a little too much like Divergent). Second of all, there was some strange God stuff going on. I’m not quite sure if there was a religious undertone the book (like preaching that maybe I missed) to or perhaps a warning about following blindly?
But, there was plenty of action, excitement, and suspense; and I did enjoy reading the book.

The world building at the beginning was pretty good. I had a solid understanding of the world that Jess lives in and the events that led up to this dystopia. I really like Jess as the narrator and as the main character. I love her friendship with Jay. Matt grew on me. And Sheree is just awesome. The character development was good.

The plot moves quickly. Maybe a little too quickly; there were a couple of times that I felt like I missed a transition. The ending felt abrupt. The series is clearly not over, but it didn’t really feel like the story of this book had been completed.

But, like I said, I enjoyed the book. It kept me interested and I do want to see where things go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs