Divergent


Divergent (Divergent, #1)
Author: Veronica Roth
Publication Date: February 28, 2012

Summary from Goodreads: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.                                            
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Source: Purchased




Rating: 5 Stars

Review: WOW! This book had my adrenaline pumping an my heart racing. Seriously, you need to read this book!

It is a young adult dystopian read (without a heavy social or political message) that I think most adults will enjoy. It starts a little slow but the pace quickly picks up. There were literally scenes where I felt like I was part of the action; my heart was pounding, my palms were sweaty, and I my breaths were racing.

The characters are a little difficult to get to know and understand, but it's not a lack of character development, it is a result if the world they live in. that being said, I really liked the two main characters.

The world is interesting and somewhat believable for a dystopian future, however I had lots of questions about the world they live in. But, like I said I couldn't put it down! The action was intense and the voice was gripping.

There are lots of themes being explored in this book that make me think it would be great for a class discussion or book club.

I highly recommend this book and I'm looking forward to reading the others in the series.(I read this book from November 29 – December 1 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs