Shadow and Bone


Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)

Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: Grisha #1
Publication Date: June 5, 2012
Source: Purchased
Summary from Goodreads: Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.
Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.
Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.
Shadow and Bone is the first installment in Leigh Bardugo's Grisha Trilogy.



Rating: êêêêê

Review
I was sucked into this book right away. I loved the way we were introduced to the characters and the world; it was like a light dream that slowly became reality. I loved the world that this book takes place it, yes it took me a little while to understand some of the language, but I was always intrigued and never overwhelmed. I loved the characters, they were well developed and consistent. The plot moved at a perfect pace, it kept me wanting more and kept my brain thinking. There were unpredictable twists that thickened the plot and made me hungry for more. This book has everything that a good quality fantasy novel needs. Literally, I finished the book and struggled to come up with words to describe how much I enjoyed it and how badly I wanted more. I am still speechless, hence the short review.

6 comments:

  1. Yayayay I'm glad you loved it! hahah are you going to read the next books in the series and wait awhile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I just finished book #2 and am about to start #3!!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1/18/2015

    I'm glad to see the positive review, Emily! I haven't read Shadow and Bone yet, but your review is a definite affirmation to pick it up. It seems like the perfect read we all hope to find and read once in a blue moon. I'm so EXCITED to read it now! Thanks for sharing:D

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you for such an awesome compliment! Can't wait for your review!

      Delete
  3. I remember feeling excited for this book but I end up not liking it. It was too much like a cliche and it bores me.
    It feels like there's too many books using the same character flaws. If I had not read The Hunger Games, divergent, The Throne of Glass, The Poison Study and such books like it, I might have like this one. But there's just one too many times you can read the same thing over and over again.
    The Book Ponderer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, I seem to be on a kick for these kind of books right now

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs