The Donor


The Donor, Parts 1-3

Author: Nikki Rae
Parts 1 - 3
Published: October 30th, 2014
Source: Netgalley
Summary from Goodreads: Casey Williams and her family are poor. Her parents work non-stop and so does she, just so they can keep the trailer roof from leaking. They’re getting by fine enough when the headaches start. Then there’s the nosebleeds. And the inevitable doctor’s bills.
Fortunately for Casey, there’s MyTrueMatch.com: an exclusive, quick, and almost easy way to pay it all back before her parents even have to know.
All she has to do is give a man she’s never met whatever he wants from her body.
Inside or out.





Rating: êê

Review
The first words that come to mind for this book are: lacking, undeveloped, and draft. From the summary, I knew that this book would be dark, but for subject matter so dark the book failed to give depth. The world building is poor <spoiler> the paranormal element took me by surprise and felt underdeveloped, like it was thrown in as a filler. <end spoiler> The characters fell flat for me; it was impossible to sympathize with them and their situations. The attempt at romance does not work, it's unbelievable.  The writing style, shifting between past and present, didn't work for me. It felt jolted and made it difficult to keep track. Ultimately, I think this book is too short for what the author was trying to do - it needs to be at least twice as long with several revisions.

3 comments:

  1. That's too bad that it was so underdeveloped... I read the blurb and it sounded interesting. Maybe I'll pass on this one though. Great review!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame this one is so underdeveloped, but at least I know to avoid it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a shame, I hate to discourage people from reader a book, but I have to be honest. While this book had potential, it really did need more fleshing out.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs