Hopeless


Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)

Author: Colleen Hoover
Publication Date: December 19, 2012
Source: Purchased
Summary from Goodreads: Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…
That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.
Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


Rating: êêê

Review
I had seen this book and it's amazing reviews all over the blogs that I follow. To be honest I was a bit let down by this one. Yes it was a page turner, and yes I enjoyed most of it, but something just wasn't right.

My first annoyance was with the conversations between teenage characters. They didn't feel authentic, the characters are too open and honest about awkward subjects that most teens would never even talk about. I also had this bad feeling that something in the characters and in the relationships felt really off. I really don't want to spoil things, but it is clear that some serious therapy is needed and I was angry that when everything clears, there was no mention of certain characters getting the professional help they need. If this is a book for teenagers, then the author needs to recognize that any teen who has been through a similar situation (or has a friend in a similar situation) will look up to her characters, and she has a responsibility to help her readers in that situation. 

2 comments:

  1. I read this book after feeling so compelled to do so reading the rave reviews. I also felt a bit let down but for reason unlike yourself. I just didn't get it. I didn't see what the big deal was, and I wasn't in love with the characters like so many others were. Great review! Love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wasn't feeling the characters either... oh well

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs