Hidden Gates


Hidden Gates (The P.J. Stone Gates Trilogy #1)

Author: D.T. Dyllin
Series: P.J. Stone Gates Trilogy #1
Publication Date: August 31, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
Summary from Goodreads: P.J. Stone was taught to put duty before her heart. But everything changes with a kiss…
As a Seer, P.J. is expected to choose a suitable mate to continue the bloodline. Wanting someone considered off-limits jeopardizes her future, forcing her to question everything she believes in.
As if navigating her love life isn’t complicated enough, P.J. receives a vision of a threat to her world that only she can perceive. But no one wants to believe a fledgling Seer’s warning. With nowhere else to turn, can P.J. trust a stranger with her life, her world, and maybe even her heart?



I can't finish this book. I was immediately put off by the overwhelmingly, heavy focus on romance. Yes, the summary clearly indicates that romance would be at the forefront of this book, but it was listed as sci-fi and I was hoping the Seer's warning would lead to a bit more thrilling plot line. Part of the reason I had such a problem with the romance was that it was poorly executed and annoying. Forbidden romance with a love triangle - UGH.

The world building was poor. I had to reread a few paragraphs that explained the role of the Seers, Speakers, Guardians, and Gatekeepers and the rules of their society, and I still didn't understand. I felt like there was very little plot movement - and so I called it quits.

2 comments:

  1. Ah. I hate when a book does that right away. Although then it makes it easier to DNF quicker I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch. I hate it when that happens. Unless you are in a soap opera, than romance is not the only purpose for you being alive. I don't mind books with romance, but be real about it. Other things need to happen plot wise too. Think I'm skipping this one.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs