Red Queen


Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)

Author: Victoria Aveyard
Series: Red Queen #1
Publication Date: February 10, 2015
Source: Ashley @ The Caffeinated Booknerd
Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
Summary from Goodreads: This is a world divided by blood - red or silver.
The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.
That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.
Fearful of Mare's potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.
But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance - Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart...




I love the world that this book takes place in, the divide between people with red or silver blood was a totally unique aspect. I found the politics of this world, the characters and the plot to be interesting. Unfortunately, none of the characters stood out to me as extremely well developed. I also felt like there were a few inconsistencies in the book when it came to the power of the Silvers, Mare's powers, and the history. The romance stuff just didn't work for me. 

The best part of this book is that I found myself literally rolling my eyes thinking that this book was predictable, but then everything I had predicted was wrong and I was pretty blown away by the twists in the plot.

I wouldn't rush out to buy the next book in the series, but if I had time, I would definitely borrow the next book from the library.

2 comments:

  1. Haha I did the same thing! I was like "Wow, this is like way too many other books" and yet I was still surprised and hooked! I actually ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would but it wasn't stellar for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you ended up enjoying this Emily! I was actually super excited to read this when it first came out, but it's October and I STILL haven't read it. I will probably end up rolling my eyes at the similarities to other books as well, but in the end I bet I will like it anyways

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs